Jamaican festivals do exactly what their names suggest, create a festive feeling in your mouth. They are most times eaten with fish but can be sided with every meat kind that you can think of.
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix dry ingredients together
2. Add beaten egg and vanilla and mix gently until combined
3. A bit at a time, add water, kneading until dough holds together.
4. Knead dough until smooth and divide into 6 or more equal pieces; shape in long dumplings.
5. Heat cooking oil on High in deep frying pan and place the Festival Dumplings in the pan one at a time.
6. Reduce heat to Medium and turn Festival dumplings every few minutes until they are brown on all sides and are cooked through; they will expand as they cook.
Enjoy with Escovitch Fish, Ackee & Saltfish or whatever you like!